Become a Teaching Fellow
APPLY TO TEACH
Are you an undergraduate college student with a deep interest in social justice and a passion for working with students?
Consider a transformational summer experience as a Breakthrough Atlanta teaching fellow and AmeriCorps member.
Participants receive a stipend and education award.
Early Application Deadline: January 18, 2024
Regular Decision Deadline: February 29, 2024
Have questions before you apply? Fill out an interest form and someone from our team will be in touch.
Visit Breakthrough Collaborative’s website here for more informaiton about the Teaching Fellowship program.
Who is eligible to apply?
Undergraduate college students of all majors and for those who intend to pursue careers in education, as well as those who haven’t yet considered it. Education coursework is not a prerequisite.
Teaching fellows must be committed to the entire nine-week summer experience, and they must be committed to personal growth and comfortable working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
What does the nine-week summer experience entail?
During the nine-week residency from June to July, Breakthrough Atlanta teaching fellows will complete 300 hours of service, including teaching and leadership training, and classroom experience.
First, teaching fellows will attend an orientation to train and prepare for teaching in the classroom. They will then teach middle schoolers who attend Breakthrough Atlanta’s signature six-week summer program.
Teaching fellows have the opportunity to practice skills that prepare them for the classroom or other professional settings, including:
- Learn lesson planning, classroom management, instructional strategies, feedback techniques, and other essential learning tools
- Receive regular coaching from professional educators
- Lead family conferences and participate in team meetings
- Teach core academic classes (math, science, writing, literature) and elective classes (e.g., foreign language, dance, art)
- Collaborate with colleagues in a challenging, fun, and supportive environment
- Work with a diverse group of highly motivated students, staff, and teachers
- Learn how to receive and deliver actionable feedback
- Practice presentation skills
- Hone time management and project planning
Valued at more than $1,400
upon completion of service.
Early Application Deadline:
January 18, 2024
Regular Decision Deadline:
February 29, 2024
2024 Program Dates:
May 29th- June 8th
June 10th-July 20th
July 22nd-July 26th
Financial Information for Summer 2024
Each teaching fellow will receive a $4,800 stipend to be used for living expenses. Additionally, Breakthrough Atlanta received grant funds awarded by AmeriCorps that will be used to support the educational pursuits of teaching fellows. Applicants who are accepted into the program will become 2023 summer AmeriCorps members and Breakthrough teaching fellows and will qualify for an education award valued at more than $1,400 upon completion of their 300-hour service with Breakthrough Atlanta. The award will be applied to qualifying expenses, such as payment directly to a college institution for tuition and fees.
Read more about Breakthrough Atlanta’s unique partnership with AmeriCorps.
ABOUT THE APPLICATION
To complete your application, please be prepared with the following:
- Personal and contact info
- A resume
- Contact information for a recommender (whom we will contact; we do not accept letters of recommendation)
- An unofficial transcript (uploaded as an attachement)
- Three short answer questions (see application)