Become a Teaching Fellow
APPLY TO TEACH
Are you an undergraduate college student with a deep interest in social justice and a passion for working with students?
Apply for a transformational summer experience as a 2022 Breakthrough Atlanta teaching fellow and AmeriCorps member.
Who is eligible to apply?
Undergraduate college students of all majors and for those who intend to pursue careers in education, as well as those who haven’t yet considered it. Education coursework is not a prerequisite.
Teaching fellows must be committed to the entire nine-week summer experience, and they must be committed to personal growth and comfortable working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
What does the nine-week summer experience entail?
During the nine-week residency from June 1-July 29, 2022, Breakthrough Atlanta teaching fellows will complete 300 hours of service, including teaching and leadership training, and classroom experience.
First, teaching fellows will attend an orientation to train and prepare for teaching in the classroom. They will then teach middle schoolers who attend Breakthrough Atlanta’s signature six-week summer program.
Teaching fellows have the opportunity to practice skills that prepare them for the classroom or other professional settings, including:
- Learn lesson planning, classroom management, instructional strategies, feedback techniques, and other essential learning tools
- Receive regular coaching from professional educators
- Lead family conferences and participate in team meetings
- Teach core academic classes (math, science, writing, literature) and elective classes (e.g., foreign language, dance, art)
- Collaborate with colleagues in a challenging, fun, and supportive environment
- Work with a diverse group of highly motivated students, staff, and teachers
- Learn how to receive and deliver actionable feedback
- Practice presentation skills
- Hone time management and project planning
KEY DATES & INFORMATION
Teaching Fellow Orientation & Training:
June 1, 2022
Students Arrive for Summer Program:
June 13, 2022
Teaching Fellow Program Ends:
July 29, 2022
Valued at $1,342.86 upon completion of service.
Currently accepting applications until all available positions are filled.
Each teaching fellow will receive a $2,500 stipend to be used for living expenses. Additionally, Breakthrough Atlanta received grant funds awarded by AmeriCorps that will be used to support the educational pursuits of teaching fellows. Applicants who are accepted into the program will become 2022 summer AmeriCorps members and Breakthrough teaching fellows and will qualify for an education award valued at $1,342.86 upon completion of their 300-hour service with Breakthrough Atlanta. The award will be applied to qualifying expenses, such as payment directly to a college institution for tuition and fees.
Read more about Breakthrough Atlanta’s unique partnership with AmeriCorps.
To complete your application, please be prepared with the following:
- Personal and contact info
- A resume
- Contact information for a recommender (whom we will contact; we do not accept letters of recommendation)
- An unofficial transcript (uploaded as an attachement)
- Three short answer questions (see application)